What is CBD hemp oil?
CBD is one of many cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant. Researchers have been searching for the possible therapeutic uses of CBD hemp oil for some time now. CBD hemp oils are concentrated in CBD which is a non-psychoactive and has multiple therapeutic effects.
The Endocannabinoid System
It was discovered while researching the effects of cannabis has on the human body. It is responsible for regulating the body’s internal balance. The endocannabinoids and their receptors make up the endocannabinoid system. These are present in the brain, other organs, the glands, immune cells and pretty much the whole body. The endocannabinoid system strives to keep the body in the state of homeostasis.
The endocannabinoids are responsible for the natural euphoria that increases feelings of well-being and decreases the perception of pain.
CBD hemp oil has shown to be promising in the treatment of some forms of epilepsy. A study was conducted on 214 people with severe epilepsy, they were given 0.9–2.3 grams of CBD hemp oil per pound (2–5 g/kg) of body weight. Their seizures were recorded to have been reduced by a median of 36.5%.
Another study established that when compared to a placebo, CBD hemp oil can significantly reduce seizure activity in children with Dravet syndrome which is a complex childhood epilepsy disorder. Though, some people experienced adverse reactions too, such as convulsions, fever and diarrhea.
In June 2018, The US FDA even approved a drug made with a purified form of CBD hemp oil called, Epidiolex for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare and severe forms of epilepsy in kids of 2 years and older. These two epilepsy forms are Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet Syndrome.
Studies supporting that CBD is effective in treating epilepsy
- This 2014 review, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4707667/ noted that CBD has anti-seizure properties and a low risk of side effects for people with epilepsy.
- Studies imply that CBD may also prove to be beneficial in treating other complications related to epilepsy, such as neurodegeneration, neuronal injury, and psychiatric diseases.
- A Facebook survey conducted at the Stanford University in 2014, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4157067/ which shared information with parents regarding the use of cannabidiol-enriched cannabis to treat their child’s seizures had the following findings.
- Of all the responses, 19 met the inclusion criteria for the study.
- The average number of anti-epileptic drugs already been tried before using CBD was 12.
- 16 (84 %) of the 19 parents reported a reduction in their child’s seizure frequency with CBD. 2 of these (11%) reported complete freedom from seizures, 8 (42%) reported almost 80% reduction in seizure frequency, and 6 (32%) reported a 25–60% seizure reduction.
- Other positive effects like increased alertness, better mood and improved sleep were also reported.
- Side effects like drowsiness and fatigue were reported.
- The preliminary results of a study (https://www.aesnet.org/meetings_events/annual_meeting_abstracts/view/1868751) in 2014, showed children with treatment-resistant epilepsies in an expanded access “compassionate use program (https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ExpandedAccessCompassionateUse/default.htm)”.
- Patients received a drug called Epidiolex. After 3 months of this treatment, 50% reduction in seizures was observed in 39% of the total 23 patients, with a 32% median reduction.
CBD has shown promise in the treatment of anxiety disorders. There is evidence that CBD helps treat generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder. However, the authors of related studies caution that human-based research on CBD and anxiety is fairly limited and still being conducted at this point.
The pharmaceutical drugs used in the treatment of Anxiety can cause a number of side effects like drowsiness, agitation, insomnia, sexual dysfunction and headache. These medications can even be addictive and may lead to substance abuse.
CBD hemp oil has shown promise as a treatment for anxiety.
Studies supporting that CBD is effective in treating Anxiety
- In one such study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3079847/, 24 people with social anxiety disorder received either 600 mg of CBD or a placebo before a public speaking test.
- Compared to the placebo group, the CBD receiving group showed significantly less anxiety, cognitive impairment and discomfort in their speech performance.
- Another study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5101100/, shows that CBD hemp oil can be used to treat insomnia and anxiety in children with post-traumatic stress disorder as CBD has the ability to act on the brain’s receptors for serotonin which is a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and social behavior.
- A review, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604171/ from Neurotherapeutics shows that CBD may help to reduce anxiety in people. According to this review, CBD may help reduce anxiety-related behaviors such as:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- general anxiety disorder
- panic disorder
- social anxiety disorder
- obsessive-compulsive disorder
- The authors also noted that the current treatments being used for the treatment of these disorders can lead to additional symptoms and side effects, which can cause some people to stop taking them.
CBD hemp oil may benefit people afflicted by addiction. In a 2015 review by the journal of Substance Abuse, they analyzed 14 previously published studies, scientists determined that CBD may have therapeutic effects in people with opioid, cocaine, and/or psychostimulant addiction. It was also found that CBD may be beneficial in the treatment of cannabis and tobacco addiction too. There is even some evidence of CBD blocking or reducing the effects of THC on the mind.
Studies supporting that CBD can help with addiction
- Another review, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604178/ published in Neurotherapeutics found that CBD may be a promising treatment for people with opioid addiction disorders.
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23685330, This study published in Addictive Behaviors found that if smokers used inhalers containing CBD rather than tobacco, they smoked fewer cigarettes than usual and had no further cravings for nicotine.
Researchers have observed that CBD may help prevent stress-related changes in blood pressure. In a 2017 study by the journal JCI Insight, 9 healthy male volunteers took a single dose of either CBD or placebo. Those treated with CBD had lower blood pressure compared to the ones who took placebo, both before and after experiencing a stressful event.
Studies supporting that CBD is good for Heart health
- A recent study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5470879/ treated 10 healthy men with one dose of 600 mg of CBD hemp oil and it was reported that the resting blood pressure was reduced, compared to a placebo.
- Furthermore, several animal studies have established that CBD may help reduce the inflammation and cell death associated with heart disease due. For example, one study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3026637/ found that treatment with CBD reduced oxidative stress and prevented heart damage in diabetic mice with heart disease.
Can relieve pain
CBD affects the brain’s response to pain signals. it attaches to specialized receptors present in the brain and immune system. One of such receptors, called a CB2 receptor is responsible for managing pain and inflammation.
It is believed by researchers that when CBD enters the human body, it may attach to CB2 receptors. It could also cause the body to produce natural cannabinoids that attach to the CB2 receptors.
Hence, scientists believe that CBD affects the way these receptors respond to the signals that they receive, and thus helping reduce inflammation and pain. Furthermore, CBD doesn’t cause dependence or tolerance, so it’s a better choice for those trying to stay away from opioids.
Studies showing that CBD can relieve pain
- A study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5922297/ shows that CBD may help reduce chronic pain by impacting endocannabinoid receptor activity, reducing inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters.
- This study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5478794/ conducted on rats found that CBD injections reduced pain response to surgical incision.
- Another study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17157290 found that oral CBD treatment in rats significantly reduced sciatic nerve pain and inflammation.
- In this study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25699191 conducted on 47 people suffering from multiple sclerosis, those treated with Sativex for a month experienced a significant improvement in pain, walking and muscle spasms, compared to the placebo group.
- Another study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16282192 discovered that Sativex significantly improved pain during movement, pain at rest and sleep quality in 58 people with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Another study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371734/ published in the Journal of Experimental Medicine conducted on mice and rats found that CBD significantly reduced chronic inflammation and pain.
- This 2008 review, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/ looks into the role that CBD plays in chronic pain management.
CBD hemp oil has shown promise as a treatment for depression, leading many who live with this disorder to become interested in this natural approach. Several animal studies like, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22509273 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2823358/ has shown that CBD has antidepressant-like effects.
Can ease Cancer-Related Symptoms
CBD may help reduce cancer-related symptoms and the side effects related to cancer treatment, like nausea, vomiting and pain.
Studies showing that CBD can help Cancer patients
- This study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19896326 was conducted on 177 people suffering from cancer, in this the effects of CBD and THC are studied on cancer-related pain. The patients who received the combination therapy experienced a significant reduction in pain compared to those who received only THC extract.
- It can be seen through this study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16983116 that CBD may help reduce the most common chemotherapy-related side effects like chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.
- Another study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2997305/ conducted on 16 people suffering from cancer and recieving chemotherapy found that a one-to-one combination of CBD and THC administered via mouth spray reduced chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting better than standard treatment alone.
- Test-tube and animal studies like this, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21566064 have shown that CBD may even have anticancer properties. In this test-tube study, concentrated CBD induced cell death in human breast cancer cells.
- Another study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18025276 conducted on mice showed that CBD may inhibit the spread of aggressive breast cancer cells.
- Another study, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323648.php supporting that CBD is helpful for people suffering from cancer.
- This review, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3579246/ published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology also supports the evidence that CBD can help cure cancer. It was noted that CBD tends to suppress the growth of cancer cells and promote their destruction.
Acne is a skin condition caused by factors, such as, genetics, bacteria, underlying inflammation and the overproduction of sebum. Recent scientific studies have found out that CBD hemp oil may help treat acne due to its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to reduce sebum production.
Studies showing that CBD can help with Acne
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25061872, This is a test-tube study which found that CBD hemp oil prevented sebaceous gland cells from secreting excessive sebum, exerted anti-inflammatory actions and prevented the activation of “pro-acne” agents like inflammatory cytokines.
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27094344, This study concluded that CBD can treat acne.
- This 2014 study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4151231/ published by the Journal of Clinical Investigation discovered that CBD helps to lower the production of sebum.
Studies showing that CBD can help with Diabetes
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27767974, This 2016 research published by Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation found that CBD may ease the inflammation in the pancreas.
- A 2016 paper, https://content.iospress.com/articles/clinical-hemorheology-and-microcirculation/ch168021 presented in Lisbon, Portugal, suggested that CBD may reduce inflammation and protect against or delay the development of type 1 diabetes.
- In a 2013 study, https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343%2813%2900200-3/abstract published by the American Journal of Medicine highlighted the impact of cannabis use on glucose, insulin and insulin resistance among U.S. adults.
Studies showing that CBD can help with Arthritis pain management
- This 2011 study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21683763 conducted on rats found that CBD affects the way that pain receptors respond to stimuli hence helping reduce inflammatory pain.
- This 2014 review, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24494687 concluded that CBD could also be an effective way of treating osteoarthritis.
- This 2016 study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4851925/ found CBD to also act as a potential pain relief and cause relief from inflammation associated with arthritis when applied topically.
This 2017 study, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28885454 found that CBD might be useful in treating OA joint pain.
EDITOR’S BEST CHOICE: TOP 11 CBD CAPSULES
Looking for a high-quality, hemp-derived CBD oil? These are a few of our team’s top picks. To learn more, visit this year’s ranking of the Best 10 CBD Oil Drops.
CBD Oil Vape Additive 300 mg
The CBD oil vape additive 300 mg works wonderfully feel at its own And your purchase is risk-free, thanks to their 30-day satisfaction guarantee and free shipping policy.